HEY Frack Off!
The extraction of shale gas by fracking has a number of unwanted environmental consequences and is banned in several European states and some areas of the USA. Exploratory drilling is already taking place in East Yorshire and some of us are extremely concerned.
The Hull and East Yorkshire Frack Off group met in October 2013 to discuss a plan of action. Ideas included
- A survey of the local population similar to that undertaken in the Blackpool area. Their website http://stopfyldefracking.org.uk/ is full of ideas.
- Produce a leaflet to promote the group, promote events eg film screenings, and could include a prewritten letter to councillors/MPs.
- Tour of village halls with the Fracking in the UK dvd – January to April.
- Make MPs and councillors aware of local opposition – letters and visits to surgeries, council meetings.
- Set up a website and email
- Street stalls
The group currently has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/HEYFrackOff
and is developing a Blog http://notofracking.blogspot.
If you want to see the film Fracking in the UK prior to HEYFrackOff film showings, it is available for £5 plus postage from http://ianrcrane.com/index.
Gasland Part 2 has been released this year, a follow up to the American film Gasland which drew attention to the environmental risks resulting from fracking, such a water pollution and earth tremors. A copy of Gasland Part 2 can be purchased from http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/home . If you want to borrow the original Gasland film, please contact Transition Hull via the contact page.
If you want to get involved, contact the HEY Frack Off! group by emailing email@example.com