March & April 2019 Events
Sat 23 March 2019 – Free taster session for WEA Growing your own Sustainable Food Business enrolonline.wea.org.uk
Sun 24 March 2019 – Grafting Workshop at Constable Community Allotment. Places are limited, please contact Lausanne on 07816 141169 to see if there are any places left.
Wed 27 March 2019 – Science Cafe Beverley presents: Talk + Q&A: “When will Hull be Underwater?” 7:30 pm The Potting Shed pub, Flemingate, Beverley HU17 0NU. A short talk by Dr Chris Skinner of the University of Hull, in an informal environment over a coffee or a pint, followed by a question & answer session.
Thu 28 March 2019 – Friends of the Earth Film showing of ‘Burned – are Trees the New Coal?’ 7pm for prompt 7.30pm start, Cottingham Civic Hall (Oak Room), Market Green, Cottingham HU16 5QG. Drax Power station imports wood from the USA through Hull Docks and it is subsidised as a ‘renewable’ fuel. But is it? More info and trailer at https://burnedthemovie.
Sat 30 March 2019 – How to Go Greener Day in Beverley. 10am to 4pm at Toll Gavel United Church, Bevereley HU17 9AA. Speakers, workshops, activities and stalls. £15 to include vegan lunch and refreshments. Contact email@example.com or book at eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-to-go-greener-day-tickets-54426788991
Mon 15 April 2019 – Transition & Permaculture Hull meeting. There will be a talk entitled “Heading for Extinction and What to do About it” presented by Extinction Rebellion Hull. 7.30 pm, Friends Meeting House, Bean St, Hull HU3 2PR. This will be preceeded by the Transition & Permaculture Hull 2019 AGM at 6.30pm at the same venue.
Octopus Energy is offering schools and community groups bundles of free trees. You can choose from 6 different types of bundle, all composed of native saplings
The Woodland Trust is offering free trees to schools and communities. Apply now and the trees will be delivered in November 2019
Grants for Groups in Yorkshire
Bettys Trees for Life Fund supports groups in Yorkshire working to improve local green spaces and wildlife habitats through tree planting projects, improved access to woodland and environmental management and education projects.
Transition & Permaculture Hull is part of the Transition Network
Transition & Permaculture Hull has a copies of Transition Network Publications which can be borrowed on request
- 21 Stories of Transition
- The Transition Handbook
- The Transition Companion
- The Power of Just Doing Stuff
- In Transition 1.0 DVD: from oil dependence to local resilience
- In Transition 2.0 DVD: a story of resilience and hope
- Voices of Transition DVD : community-led food production
Sites suggested by Transition & Permaculture Hull members:
- Working together for a just transition New Economics Foundation Nov 2018: How can we manage the shift to a green economy, and provide good jobs for all? https://neweconomics.org/2018/11/working-together-for-a-just-transition?mc_cid=d9c12a42e6&mc_eid=bb236f8f36
- Who should feed the world? the power of multinationals over proprietary seeds https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/05/feed-the-world-real-people-faceless-multinationals-monsanto-bayer
- The Trans Pennine Trail walkers & cyclists coast-to-coast going through Hull http://www.transpenninetrail.o
- Grow trees to offset Trump’s withdrawal from climate agreement https://trumpforest.com/
- First Food Waste Supermarket in the UK Pudsey, Sept 2016 http://resource.co/article/uk-
- Wetwipes and Marine Conservation Find out how you can get involved
- Ecological Land Cooperative Devon https://vimeo.com/169613117 http://ecologicalland.coop/
- Brunswick Organic Nursery and Craft Workshop near York http://www.brunswickyork.org.uk/
- Get worm composting today with The Urban Worm http://www.theurbanworm.co.uk/
- The home of organic farming Soil Association website https://www.soilassociation.org/
- Horton Community Farm permaculture site in Bradford
- Friends of Constable Street Field, Hull, Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Constable-Street-Field-147736172079143/
- Sustainability of urban food systems https://susturbanfoods.com/
- Interview with the director of film ‘Threatened Forests’ at http://eubioenergy.com/2015/
11/25/threatened-forests- interview-with-director- benoit-grimont/
- Envisioning a prosperous descent by focusing on what is sufficient to live well http://simplicityinstitute.org/
- ‘Crash on Demand’ David Holmgren’s paper on stopping stopping the juggernaut of consumer capitalism from driving the world over the climate change cliff http://holmgren.com.au/crash-demand/
- A book to stimulate discussion about the relationship between personal wellbeing and environmental sustainability http://happierpeoplehealthierplanet.com/
- Welcome to the next generation of horticulturists http://younghort.com/
- Using gardening to change lives: http://www.thrive.org.uk/
- the myths surrounding the “fracking boom” http://www.i-sis.org.uk/US_
- Plastic Bottles light up houses! http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/
- Use waste coffee grouts for growing mushrooms http://www.fungi-futures.
- Biofuelwatch http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/
- Marinet marine conservation http://www.marinet.org.uk/
- Local Freecycle http://groups.freecycle.org/hullfreecycle/posts/all
page updated Feb 2019