Transition & Permaculture Hull Event
Mon 14 October, 7.30 pm to 9.30 pm at the Friends Meeting House, Bean St, Hull. John Robinson will be giving an illustrated talk about developing a forest garden at his property in Lincolnshire.
Hull Civic Society’s programme for Heritage Open Days in September includes:
Inglehome – low energy superhome
A terraced house which has been transformed into a dwelling with zero energy bills, by means of a whole range of improvements. The owner will give you a tour and indicate how the various changes were implemented. Sun 22 Sept, 11 am to 3pm, booking required.
Urban Tree Challenge Fund
The Urban Tree Challenge Fund (UTCF) seeks to plant at least 130,000 trees. It provides funding to support the planting and establishment of large and small trees in urban and peri-urban areas in England. The support is competitive and targeted at projects that can provide the greatest environmental, social and economic benefits in our towns and cities. Public bodies, community groups, charities and non-government organisations, individuals and private companies who provide matched funding are eligible to apply.
The Woodland Trust is offering free trees to schools and communities. Apply now and the trees will be delivered in November 2019
Treesisters is a grassroots network of women planting over two million trees a year in the tropics. These are women committed to the restoration of our forests and the rebalancing of humanity’s relationship with the natural world, and you can join them.
Friends of the Earth Trees Campaign calls for the tree cover in the UK to be doubled by 2045 as one of the best solutions to protect the environment and achieve net zero emissions. To sign the petition and read more:
Tree Aid is a UK Charity which works with communities in Africa to ensure they have the resources, training and support to grow and restore trees on their land.
Ecosia is a search engine that plants trees. It uses the advertising revenue from your searches to plant trees where they are needed most.
Transition & Permaculture Hull is part of the Transition Network
Transition & Permaculture Hull has a copies of Transition Network Publications which can be borrowed on request
- 21 Stories of Transition
- The Transition Handbook
- The Transition Companion
- The Power of Just Doing Stuff
- In Transition 1.0 DVD: from oil dependence to local resilience
- In Transition 2.0 DVD: a story of resilience and hope
- Voices of Transition DVD : community-led food production
Sites suggested by Transition & Permaculture Hull members:
- Music video called ‘Apocalypse’, featuring a globe-busting music video by the Correspondents.
- XR video of ‘Requiem for a Dead Planet’, creative action demanding media tell the truth about the climate emergency.
- Harrison Ford video for XR ‘If We Don’t Protect Nature We Can’t Protect Ourselves’
- How can we practise Regenerative Action? video in conversation with two monastics from Plum Village, the home and practice centre of peace-activist Thich Naht Hanh. https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/mps2/c/3gA/ni0Y
- Working together for a just transition New Economics Foundation Nov 2018: How can we manage the shift to a green economy, and provide good jobs for all? https://neweconomics.org/2018/11/working-together-for-a-just-transition?mc_cid=d9c12a42e6&mc_eid=bb236f8f36
- Who should feed the world? the power of multinationals over proprietary seeds https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/05/feed-the-world-real-people-faceless-multinationals-monsanto-bayer
- The Trans Pennine Trail walkers & cyclists coast-to-coast going through Hull http://www.transpenninetrail.o
- Grow trees to offset Trump’s withdrawal from climate agreement https://trumpforest.com/
- First Food Waste Supermarket in the UK Pudsey, Sept 2016 http://resource.co/article/uk-
- Wetwipes and Marine Conservation Find out how you can get involved
- Ecological Land Cooperative Devon https://vimeo.com/169613117 http://ecologicalland.coop/
- Brunswick Organic Nursery and Craft Workshop near York http://www.brunswickyork.org.uk/
- Get worm composting today with The Urban Worm http://www.theurbanworm.co.uk/
- The home of organic farming Soil Association website https://www.soilassociation.org/
- Horton Community Farm permaculture site in Bradford
- Friends of Constable Street Field, Hull, Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Constable-Street-Field-147736172079143/
- Sustainability of urban food systems https://susturbanfoods.com/
- Interview with the director of film ‘Threatened Forests’ at http://eubioenergy.com/2015/
11/25/threatened-forests- interview-with-director- benoit-grimont/
- Envisioning a prosperous descent by focusing on what is sufficient to live well http://simplicityinstitute.org/
- ‘Crash on Demand’ David Holmgren’s paper on stopping stopping the juggernaut of consumer capitalism from driving the world over the climate change cliff http://holmgren.com.au/crash-demand/
- A book to stimulate discussion about the relationship between personal wellbeing and environmental sustainability http://happierpeoplehealthierplanet.com/
- Welcome to the next generation of horticulturists http://younghort.com/
- Using gardening to change lives: http://www.thrive.org.uk/
- the myths surrounding the “fracking boom” http://www.i-sis.org.uk/US_
- Plastic Bottles light up houses! http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/
- Use waste coffee grouts for growing mushrooms http://www.fungi-futures.
- Biofuelwatch http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/
- Marinet marine conservation http://www.marinet.org.uk/
- Local Freecycle http://groups.freecycle.org/hullfreecycle/posts/all
page updated Aug 2019