Hull Food Partnership produces a monthly newsletter packed full of info on food, growing, and the environment. There are features about local projects and links to online events. The May Newsletter can be found at
If you find the newsletter interesting please support the work of the partnership by signing up to the newsletter. Email your name and contact details to email@example.com
If you’re looking for specific information about what to sow and grow in Hull, download the Growers_Handbook_2021, newly updated for 2021.
Founded in 1903, the Workers’ Educational Association (WEA) is a charity dedicated to bringing high-quality, professional education into the heart of communities. The following online courses are available, many courses are FREE or discounted (subject to eligibility).
- Global Future – Sea-Level Rise & What That May Mean Lecture – 24th May
- An Introduction to Environmental Economics – starts 7th June
- Climate Change and Global Warming Lecture – 14th June
- Introduction to Permaculture Day School – 19th June
- At One with Nature – starts 22nd June
For more information about WEA Yorkshire & Humberside courses
Standing up to Drax Webinar
Biofuelwatch organised a webinar on 15 April 2021 focusing on the forests being felled in various parts of the world to become biomass for Drax Power Station – now the world’s largest burner of biomass. Speakers from Estonia, United States, Canada and the UK contribute to a session which belies Drax’s claim that its source materials are sustainably sourced.
During the current Covid Lockdown, Transition & Permaculture Hull has not organised face-to-face meetings, events or activities, but has continued to maintain the mailing list and website. If you would like to join the mailing list please use the contact form to let us know.
Constable Community Allotment has been closed to visitors and Lausanne has been maintaining the site with selected volunteers. She can be contacted on 07816 141169. The allotment is due to reopen Sat 22 May, and the AGM will be held Sat 12 June at 12 midday at the allotment, Constable Street, Hull HU3 3DF.
If restriction are lifted on 17 May 2021 as planned, we will be having a Transition & Permaculture Hull stall at the Green Fair on Sat 29 May 2021 to be held in Cottingham at the Civic Hall on Market Square from 10 am to 3.30 pm. We will be talking to people about what activites we might organise for the coming year.
New home of the Arctic Corsair, Hull’s last remaining sidewinder trawler, at Hull’s historic North End Shipyard is set to become one of the most energy efficient buildings in the UK’s cultural and heritage sector. In response to Hull City Council declaring a climate emergency and to support its 2030 Carbon Neutral Strategy, the building is targeting net zero carbon in operation. The building will generate energy through renewable technologies to offset the carbon associated with the energy consumed within the building.
Plant and Share – Free Training, Small Grant Funding and Resources
Funding deadline 30th April
The Plant and Share campaign will be running from April 19th – May 19th and is a month where you are encouraged to sow, grow and share the plants and produce with your communities. You will be supported with resources which will be available to download from the website and also with some free growing related workshops.
There is also the opportunity to register for a free online training module Get Growing to support you and your community to start your growing journey. This can be accessed at any time once registered.
To support you to join in with Plant and Share, there is a further round of Small Grant Funding available with deadline of 30th April. You can apply for £150 to support your growing activities for Plant and Share as well as for activity that can link in with The Big Lunch on the 5th and 6th June. Please ensure you download the form from the website to ensure you are using the most up to date.
Northern Hull Community Rainbow Garden has produced a newsletter covering the past few months. It can be viewed or downloaded from the website at:
More info about the Rainbow Garden, including a video tour with a nice view of the willlow arch, at https://rainbowgardenhull.
UK fossil fuel developments in 2021
Interesting review of UK fossil fuel developments, which include the local West Newton site in Holderness. https://drillordrop.com/2020/
The Woodland Trust is offering free trees to schools and communities. Apply now and the trees will be delivered in March 2021
One Hull of a Forest is a project whose main aim is to plant trees, involving schools and businesses and the general public, to help increase the woodland cover in Hull and the East Riding.The project is linked to the HEYwoods strategy group, with a target to plant 1.2 million trees over the coming years, as part of the Northern Forest Initiative. It hopes to put Hull on the map as one of the greenest cities in the north of England. The project is managed by the ‘Plant a Tree Today’ Foundation (PATT Foundation) and the following link provides more info. They are looking for involvement in lots of ways and the link has a contact form where you can leave your details to find out more.
Treesisters is a grassroots network of women planting over two million trees a year in the tropics. These are women committed to the restoration of our forests and the rebalancing of humanity’s relationship with the natural world, and you can join them.
Friends of the Earth Trees Campaign calls for the tree cover in the UK to be doubled by 2045 as one of the best solutions to protect the environment and achieve net zero emissions. To sign the petition and read more:
Tree Aid is a UK Charity which works with communities in Africa to ensure they have the resources, training and support to grow and restore trees on their land.
Ecosia is a search engine that plants trees. It uses the advertising revenue from your searches to plant trees where they are needed most.
Transition & Permaculture Hull is part of the Transition Network
Transition & Permaculture Hull has a copies of Transition Network Publications which can be borrowed on request
- 21 Stories of Transition
- The Transition Handbook
- The Transition Companion
- The Power of Just Doing Stuff
- In Transition 1.0 DVD: from oil dependence to local resilience
- In Transition 2.0 DVD: a story of resilience and hope
- Voices of Transition DVD : community-led food production
Sites suggested by Transition & Permaculture Hull members:
- Permaculture Magazine’s YouTube Channel has hundreds of videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7r7A8qlvL8hoKJhfpbVb2w
- Information about the Stop Ecocide campaign, about Polly Higgins and about signing up as an Earth Protetor at https://www.stopecocide.earth
- Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research giving climate change targets for the City of Kingston upon Hull that are derived from the commitments enshrined in the Paris Agreement https://carbonbudget.mancheste
- Friends of the Earth ‘How climate friendly in your community’ – enter your post code and find out https://friendsoftheearth.uk/c
limate-friendly-communities?ut m_source=call-to-action-acting &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign =climate-change&utm_content= FY1920-10_lm1910007_not- signed-v2
- Comedian Nish Kumar has something to say about Extinction Rebellion, and it’s hilarious
- Music video called ‘Apocalypse’, featuring a globe-busting music video by the Correspondents.
- XR video of ‘Requiem for a Dead Planet’, creative action demanding media tell the truth about the climate emergency.
- Harrison Ford video for XR ‘If We Don’t Protect Nature We Can’t Protect Ourselves’
- How can we practise Regenerative Action? video in conversation with two monastics from Plum Village, the home and practice centre of peace-activist Thich Naht Hanh. https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/mps2/c/3gA/ni0Y
- Working together for a just transition New Economics Foundation Nov 2018: How can we manage the shift to a green economy, and provide good jobs for all? https://neweconomics.org/2018/11/working-together-for-a-just-transition?mc_cid=d9c12a42e6&mc_eid=bb236f8f36
- Who should feed the world? the power of multinationals over proprietary seeds https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/05/feed-the-world-real-people-faceless-multinationals-monsanto-bayer
- The Trans Pennine Trail walkers & cyclists coast-to-coast going through Hull http://www.transpenninetrail.o
- Grow trees to offset Trump’s withdrawal from climate agreement https://trumpforest.com/
- First Food Waste Supermarket in the UK Pudsey, Sept 2016 http://resource.co/article/uk-
- Wetwipes and Marine Conservation Find out how you can get involved
- Ecological Land Cooperative Devon https://vimeo.com/169613117 http://ecologicalland.coop/
- Brunswick Organic Nursery and Craft Workshop near York http://www.brunswickyork.org.uk/
- Get worm composting today with The Urban Worm http://www.theurbanworm.co.uk/
- The home of organic farming Soil Association website https://www.soilassociation.org/
- Horton Community Farm permaculture site in Bradford
- Friends of Constable Street Field, Hull, Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Constable-Street-Field-147736172079143/
- Sustainability of urban food systems https://susturbanfoods.com/
- Interview with the director of film ‘Threatened Forests’ at http://eubioenergy.com/2015/
11/25/threatened-forests- interview-with-director- benoit-grimont/
- Envisioning a prosperous descent by focusing on what is sufficient to live well http://simplicityinstitute.org/
- ‘Crash on Demand’ David Holmgren’s paper on stopping stopping the juggernaut of consumer capitalism from driving the world over the climate change cliff http://holmgren.com.au/crash-demand/
- A book to stimulate discussion about the relationship between personal wellbeing and environmental sustainability http://happierpeoplehealthierplanet.com/
- Welcome to the next generation of horticulturists http://younghort.com/
- Using gardening to change lives: http://www.thrive.org.uk/
- the myths surrounding the “fracking boom” http://www.i-sis.org.uk/US_
- Plastic Bottles light up houses! http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/
- Use waste coffee grouts for growing mushrooms http://www.fungi-futures.
- Biofuelwatch http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/
- Marinet marine conservation http://www.marinet.org.uk/
- Local Freecycle http://groups.freecycle.org/hullfreecycle/posts/all
page updated May 2021